Mind Body Syndrome is a stress illness
It is imperative that all possible causes of stress are identified, although many of these may be buried in the subconscious and may need to be accessed.
Continuous or long-term stress can lead to health problems and make many physical conditions worse.
In some people, stress alone can cause physical symptoms that can be as severe as those caused by any other form of illness or injury.
Symptoms are generally not related to any confirmed organ disease or structural damage and as such fall into the category of medically unexplained symptoms
MBS is a Functional Disorder
Functional Disorders are disorders where no identifiable organic causehas been identified
Clues to a Functional Disorder include:
- Begin without a physical precipitation
- Persist after an injury has healed
- Are in a distribution pattern that is symmetric
- Occur on one whole side of the body or occur on half of the face, head, or torso
- Spread over time to different areas of the body
- Radiate to the opposite side of the body or down a whole leg or arm
- That occur in many different body parts
- That have the quality of tingling, electric, burning, numb, hot, or cold
- Symptoms that are inconsistent and:
- Shift from one location in the body to another
- Are more or less intense depending on the time of day, or occur upon awakening or while asleep
- Occur after, but not during, activity or exercise
- Occur when one thinks about them
- Occur when stress is increased
- Are minimal or non-existent when engaged in joyful or distracting activities
- Are minimal or non-existent after some kind of therapy, such as massage, chiropractic, reiki, acupuncture, an herbal, or vitamin supplement
- Symptoms that are triggered:
- By things that are not related to the actual symptom, such as foods, smells, sounds, light, computer screens, menses, changes in the weather
- By the anticipation of stress, such as prior to school, work, a doctor's visit, a medical test, a visit to a relative, or a social gathering; or during those activities
- By simply imagining engaging in the triggering activity, such as bending over, turning the neck, sitting, or standing
- By light touch or innocuous stimuli, such as the wind or cold
Any of the following can occur alone or in combination and be recurring - all without an identified organic cause:
- Heartburn, acid reflux
- Abdominal pains
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Tension headaches
- Migraine headaches
- Unexplained rashes
- Back, neck and/or shoulder pain
- Repetitive stress injury
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD)
- Temporomandibular joint syndrome(TMJ)
- Chronic tendonitis
- Facial pain
- Numbness, tingling sensations
- Fatigue or chronic fatigue syndrome
- Chest pain
- Interstitial cystitis/spastic bladder (irritable bladder syndrome)
- Pelvic pain
- Muscle tenderness
- Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome(POTS)
It is imperative that all possible causes of stress are identified, although many of these will be buried in the subconscious and will need to be accessed.
By finding connections between life stresses, core issues, and the onset of MBS symptoms, one can then identify the circumstances, thoughts, feelings or emotions and reactions to these.
This will help one understand the consequential negative results of this process.
Because we now know that the brain has the capacity and capability to change its neutral networks through neuroplasticity, all of the above can be addressed.
Whilst we cannot change what has happened to us in the past, we can change how we think and feel and react to these events and control our past, present, and even our future through a dedicated neuroplastic programmed approach.
If, once you have had all treatable organic causes of your pain excluded and treated and your pain or symptoms persists or gets worse, then it is worth considering whether your chronic pain is actually neuroplastic pain or your symptoms neuroplastic.
This is a condition I can help you with
I have recovered from neuroplastic pain (a Mind Body symptom) myself and developed ThePainRecoveryProgram as a result.
I am skilled in the diagnostic assessment of these conditions.
Make an appointment to see me for diagnostic assessment and advice regarding treatment options.